Re: Gradient syntax proposal

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 08:40:31 -0700
Cc: James Elmore <James.Elmore@cox.net>, CSS <www-style@w3.org>
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>

On Aug 19, 2009, at 8:05 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

>> linear-gradient(top / white -20%, yellow 50% / black -30%)
>
> Or, of course, just linear-gradient(top / white -20%, yellow 50%,
> black 130%)

Of course. I gave a very simple example, in order to make it super
clear how it worked. Obviously the second slash idea would be
especially more useful with distances than percentages, but even with
percentages, it is sometimes easier to think of it this way, instead
of adding 100. This post was really about negative numbers, and how
useful they can be. The second slash in this example, combined with
negative numbers, makes it easy to think about the "outside" part in a
convenient symmetrical way (in this case, 20% on one end and 30% on
the other).