Re: [css3-mediaqueries] Syntax connecting MQ to CSS 2.1

On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 15:14:58 +0200, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 16:11:48 +0200, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:
>> 2b) Alternatively, we can rewrite the grammar in appendix G of CSS2 to
>> introduce a non-terminal "media_query_list." This is a bit more work,
>> but it can be done, because it is only editorial. The rules
>> for "import" and "media" would be rewritten in terms of the
>> new "media_query_list" non-terminal as:
>>
>>     import
>>       : IMPORT_SYM S*
>>         [STRING|URI] S* media_query_list? ';' S*
>>       ;
>>     media
>>       : MEDIA_SYM S* media_query_list LBRACE S* ruleset* '}' S*
>>       ;
>>     media_query_list
>>       : medium [ COMMA S* medium]*
>>       ;
>
> And then Media Queries is updated to replace media_query_list? That
> works for me. I guess if we really do not want to allow @media {} HTML5
> and the <?xml-stylesheet?> specification will just have to state that
> the empty string is equal to all.

This would be my preferred solution. Adding media_query_list to CSS 2.1 is an editorial change and this also requires only a few changes to Media Queries. Getting the appropriate changes into other downstream specifications such as HTML5 should be no problem either. (I already discussed it with the editor.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/