Re: Tabbed Interfaces in CSS

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 08:12:48 -0700
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: Giovanni Campagna <scampa.giovanni@gmail.com>

On Apr 24, 2009, at 5:40 AM, Giovanni Campagna wrote:

> First of all, read User Interface for CSS3 [1]. You'll find in section
> 5.3.3 a property called "user-select", that defines the selection /
> activation behavior for all elements, regardless of event handling
> registered on them.
> The value "toggle" says that activation (mouse click, enter key press)
> should toggle the :checked pseudo-class, using the value of
> "toggle-group": if the latter is "none", element is a checkbox, else
> it is a radiobutton (only for :checked).
>
> This means that to your proposal you just need to add
> "user-select: toggle" in the style for cards
> (it may be implied by appearance:card, but I hope no, since it is not
> implied by appearance:checkbox or appearance:radiobox currently)
>
> Adding this property would it be a problem for you?
> If yes, why?

User-select seems like overkill, unless it is genuinely useful beyond
this. A click without a drag should be enough to toggle the radio
button click-state. 'toggle-group' by itself sounds pretty similar to
what I had in mind for 'radio-group'.  'group-reset' does not seem
necessary, and neither does the statement on that page about nesting
and resets.

The 'user-input' property on that page seems to go way beyond what is
actually needed here. I would make 'nav-index' (nee 'tab-index')
something that any element can have, but which defaults to 'none' for
not previously enabled elements (i.e. non-form elements). Setting a
LEGEND to 'nav-index: auto | <number>' would make it focusable.