Re: About multiple backgrounds' syntax

I agree that the syntax is non-intuitive and cumbersome. But the need
is real: images should not be required in order to for text to be
readable, and it is often a contrasting background image (with
transparent or translucent areas where the page can be seen behind it)
that allows the text to be readable. There are many cases where
authors only want the background color if the contrasting background
images are not available.