Re: [Backgrounds/Borders] What to do when a border-image fails to load

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 18:15:29 -0700
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
CC: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>, "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
Brad Kemper wrote:
> On Mar 28, 2009, at 7:54 AM, David Hyatt wrote:
>
>> On Mar 28, 2009, at 8:17 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

>>> Then you always have to set two properties. Is it worth considering
>>> making border-image a special form of border-style? That does not
>>> work for the border-*-style properties, but the same applies to
>>> resetting border-image by setting border. As a bonus it would make it
>>> easier to allow specifying some kind of fallback in case the image
>>> fails to load, cannot be decoded, is not supported, etc.
>>>

>> I don't really care how this is solved.  I just don't like what's in
>> the spec now, since snapping to different border widths just because
>> an image failed to load does not seem like what any author or user
>> would want.
>>
>> dave
>
> I written up a proposal that I think solves this problem, plus a couple
> others that I think are even bigger for authors. I'd appreciate it if
> everyone could take a look and let me know what you think. In the
> following link, I describe three problems (including this one), and a
> nice solution that I would love to see implemented:
>
> http://www.bradclicks.com/cssplay/border-image/Thinking_Outside_The_Box.html

Ok, this is now in the Editor's Draft:
   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-background/#the-border-image-property

I think I addressed all the comments and suggestions here. Please
take a look and let me know what you think.

Also, Brad, if you could write up some examples for this section
so it's not so much dry prose that'd be great. :)

~fantasai