RE: [Css Variables] Variable Declaration Blocks

From: Mike Wilson <mikewse@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 08:12:22 +0200
To: "'fantasai'" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "'L. David Baron'" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>

fantasai wrote:
> This was as far as I got Friday afternoon at the F2F:
>    http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/specs/constants/
>
> It's not very complete, but I think it captures the important points
> in the discussion.

The discussion in the meeting notes
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Sep/0075.html
was kind of brief regarding some of the technical problems with the
original CSS Vars suggestion. I think Dave's implementation with
changeable/scriptable variables is far more elegant than a parse-
time solution where the constants are no longer visible after parsing.

I agree that many of the mentioned use cases will be solved by the
parse-time suggestion, but I also think we will regret not going the
whole way with this construct.
So, could you or anyone else elaborate a little on the main technical
problems? As I have understood from what Dave has mentioned earlier
there was no problem implementing the actual internal book-keeping of
the variables, but problems would rather be interfacing with CSSOM?

It would be nice to look into this a bit further before dismissing
the full solution and going into parse-time macros.

L. David Baron wrote:
> (Including URLs makes it much easier for other people to follow the
> discussion; it means that understanding the message doesn't require
> the significant amount of digging through archives that you did in
> order to write the message.)

Actually I did not have to spend any significant amount of time to
locate the information as (subscribing to mail) I had saved this
particular mail in my CSS vars mail folder. But you are right that I
could have dug up the public link for this message to make it easier
for the readers. Point taken.

Best regards
Mike Wilson