Re: [Css Variables] Variable Declaration Blocks

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 08:12:22 +0200, Mike Wilson <mikewse@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> fantasai wrote:
>> This was as far as I got Friday afternoon at the F2F:
>>    http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/specs/constants/
>>
>> It's not very complete, but I think it captures the important points
>> in the discussion.
>
> The discussion in the meeting notes
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Sep/0075.html
> was kind of brief regarding some of the technical problems with the
> original CSS Vars suggestion.

Well, the CSSOM problem is significant.

> I think Dave's implementation with
> changeable/scriptable variables is far more elegant than a parse-
> time solution where the constants are no longer visible after parsing.

Could you elaborate on why you consider it to be more elegant? Style
sheets on the Web are hardly ever modified through the CSSOM so optimising
for that does not seem like such a good idea to me, given the added
complexity and changes we need to make to make it work properly.

(FWIW, Opera is fine with adding constants support as per Elika's draft,
modulo quibbling about the name of @style. We're not really interested in
adding (mutable) variables.)

--
Anne van Kesteren