Re: [css3-gcpm] float: footnote

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 01:11:46 +0200
To: Joshua Cranmer <Pidgeot18@verizon.net>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Ambrose Li <ambrose.li@gmail.com>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>

Also sprach Joshua Cranmer:

 > I think a fair amount of the new properties and values in CSS3-GCPM
 > could be moved to CSS3-Content, as they seem applicable outside of paged
 > media (e.g. a lot of the float stuff, hyphenation, counter styles).

I agree.

 > I brought up float: footnote in particular since its present
 > definition does not make sense outside of paged media yet nothing
 > about it prevents it from being specified legally in non-paged
 > media, AFAICT.

I don't see any reason for doing it, though. To me, a footnote is a
presentational construct that is sometimes used on paged media and
never in non-paged media. Footnotes don't exist in HTML, nor is there
any plan for it:

  http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/#footnotes

So, it's not like we have a bunch of footnotes and now we need to find
a way to display them in non-paged media -- footnotes are only created
by the style sheet and it can, according tot the presentation on the
table, only happen in paged media. In other media, the normal CSS
properties/values will determine its presentation. E.g., you could
write:

 @media print {
   .note { float: footnote }
 }
 @media screen {
   .note { float: left; padding: 0.5em; background: grey }
 }

-h&kon