Re: [css3-gcpm] float: footnote

From: Ambrose Li <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 20:00:01 -0400
To: howcome@opera.com
Cc: "Joshua Cranmer" <Pidgeot18@verizon.net>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>

2008/9/3 Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>:
> I don't see any reason for doing it, though. To me, a footnote is a
> presentational construct that is sometimes used on paged media and
> never in non-paged media. Footnotes don't exist in HTML, nor is there
> any plan for it:

But why? There have been a number of times in the past that I wanted
to create a footnote on a web page, but it couldn't be done and I just
use endnotes as a compromise. I'm sure other people will also find
the claim that "a footnote is a presentational construct that is never
[used] in non-paged media" very odd and illogical.

It certainly is not currently achievable in HTML, but "never" in
non-paged media?

--
cheers,
-ambrose

The 'net used to be run by smart people; now many sites are run by
idiots. So SAD... (Sites that do spam filtering on mails sent to the
abuse contact need to be cut off the net...)