Re: CSS Aliases

From: Matt Patenaude <MattPat@mattpat.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 13:05:08 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

On Oct 7, 2008, at 9:14 AM, Barry Rader wrote:

> Given your second example how hard would it be to have a "<tr
> class='alternateRow oddRow'>"

It wouldn't be hard at all, but part of the idea behind CSS is that
you should theoretically be able to style a page without modifying its
markup in any way. This is a convenience to make that "more possible."

> The major problem I see with what your suggesting what happens when
> someone does this.
>
> @alias selector(.alternateRow) selector(#myTable tr.oddRow)
> @alias selector(#myTable tr.oddRow) selector(.alternateRow)
>
> You might think that unlikely but it will happen. Circular reference
> in this case would be difficult to deal with to say the least.

Very good point, had not thought of that.

Perhaps my solution isn't the best out there, but I definitely think
we need a little something to help out. :)

-Matt