RE: [Css Variables] Variable Declaration Blocks

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> Style sheets on the Web are hardly ever modified through
> the CSSOM so optimising for that does not seem like such
> a good idea to me,

I think it is safe to say that f ex adding and removing
classes on an element is a much more common way of changing
style than doing modifications through CSSOM, so we certainly
agree there.

But then I think one of the reasons that might hold devs off
from using CSSOM for run-time style changes is the lack of
an actual "reuse" construct in CSS - which incidentally is
the construct we are discussing in this thread.

Currently, say if a developer would like to use script to
change the background color on a number of (different kinds
of) elements. He will probably have to iterate over a number
of rules in the style sheet, as CSS designs without reuse
constructs (variables) usually choose to copy/paste color
information into multiple rules. Even if he does the hard
work of hard-coding this process it will risk to break on
the next update when the CSS designer adds or changes a few
rules. Personally I would avoid the whole thing and I think
most do.

But consider if there was a variable representing the
background color for this set of / kind of elements, which
was included/referenced by all applicable rules above. Then
we would only need to CSSOM-update the variable to get what
we want and not have to worry about rule changes. In this
case the variable could be seen as a contract between the
CSS designer and the page author.

So I think we are in a sort of Catch 22 here;
  "style changes through CSSOM are not so useful anyway so
  we shouldn't add variables to it",
and
  "CSSOM style changes would become much more useful if
  having variables".

Fixing the latter voids the former and I think CSSOM would
see much more use when exposing variables.

Best regards
Mike Wilson