Re: [Css Variables] Variable Declaration Blocks

Mike Wilson wrote:
> I agree with you Chris and I'll add a few bits to (2):
>
>> Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>>> 2) Why they are variables and not constants?
>
> I'll reverse the question and ask why shouldn't everything in
> CSS be constants then? The same reasoning could be applied to
> the current CSS rule scheme and we could have "first rule wins"
> for everything, and no CSSOM modification after loading. We
> could even lock down script modification of HtmlElement.class
> and HtmlElement.style so all style and layout could be settled
> once and for all during load-time.

Sorry but this "why not?" of yours is not an answer on the first one:
"Why they are variables and not constants?"

> Personally I wouldn't want it to function this way, maybe some
> would, and I'd like to see variables use the same scheme as the
> rest already do.
>
> Talking about "run-time" modification of styles we already have
> f ex the following support in current implementations that will
> all lead to dynamic update of style/layout on elements:
>
> - change class on an HTML element through DOM
> - change properties on rule through CSSOM
> - add/remove rules through CSSOM
> - load a new style sheet through CSSOM
> - element style inheritance of changes by above operations

So why do you need more here?
What *practical* task of yours does require variables to be in the
list?

> Not offering run-time updates for variables would feel poor
> considering the above list, especially since composite/complex
> variables have the potential to become a main design element in
> future CSS.

That is what I would like to know:

Is that "would feel poor" of yours belong to practical-requests
category or is it just because the number of items in the list is
aesthetically-non-pleasant to you?

That was the precise reason of my initial question:
CSS Variables topic is already polluted by various esoteric desires.
I think it is time to hear practical/technical reasoning and
definition of cases. Just to reduce entropy .

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com