RE: [Css Variables] Variable Declaration Blocks

From: Mike Wilson <mikewse@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 17:29:43 +0200
To: "'fantasai'" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>

fantasai wrote:
> This was as far as I got Friday afternoon at the F2F:
>    http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/specs/constants/
>
> It's not very complete, but I think it captures the important points
> in the discussion.

Hi fantasai,

I wonder about your thoughts on the parse-time process that
does the variable replacements; I guess it builds up some
kind of translation map with variable names and values that
it uses while parsing files, but do you envision this map
being thrown away or kept after parsing is complete?

Consider if a new style sheet is loaded by script through
CSSOM, and it should have variables replaced, then I guess
it would be most convenient to have kept the translation
map. Otherwise it could be a complex process to reload all
preceeding style sheets to recreate any variables. So UAs
would in practice need to maintain a map of all variables
and values during a page's lifetime even though this is a
parse-time solution, right?

Best regards
Mike Wilson