RE: CSS3 @font-face / EOT Fonts - new compromise proposal

From: Thomas Phinney <tphinney@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 17:35:31 -0800
To: Dave Singer <singer@apple.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

Dave Singer wrote:

> I think I've said this before, but I fail to see how this is a
> productive discussion.
>
> There are many commercial fonts;  we want a system in which the font
> owners are comfortable with them being used on the web.
>
> There are also freely distributable fonts.  We want a system which
> does not imply that these fonts are not freely distributable, or harm
> their use and re-use.
>

> Now, perhaps we will need a discussion about which of these goals to
> weaken, if we fail to come up with a way of meeting both of them.
> But given the fluidity of the space right now, I think it rather
> premature to see that failure as inevitable, don't you?

I have avoided bringing up quality arguments before. But I feel I need to respond - once anyway - to people who use the counter-argument that quality isn't an issue for free fonts, even if I haven't been making the argument that it matters.

Anyway, I won't take that bait any further. I recognize that other folks may have different opinions.

Cheers,