At 19:44  -0500 13/11/08, Aryeh Gregor wrote:
>On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Thomas Phinney <tphinney@adobe.com> wrote:
>  > There are literally several thousands of high-quality retail font
>families. Currently there are singles or at most a couple dozen
>high-quality free font families. The latter number could increase at
>a pretty healthy rate, and still not come close to the former number
>for a century or two. Or ever, if the growth rate of the former
>continues to be vastly higher.

I think I've said this before, but I fail to see how this is a
productive discussion.

There are many commercial fonts;  we want a system in which the font
owners are comfortable with them being used on the web.

There are also freely distributable fonts.  We want a system which
does not imply that these fonts are not freely distributable, or harm
their use and re-use.

Now, perhaps we will need a discussion about which of these goals to
weaken, if we fail to come up with a way of meeting both of them.
But given the fluidity of the space right now, I think it rather
premature to see that failure as inevitable, don't you?
--
David Singer
Multimedia Standards, Apple Inc.