RE: svg fonts as web font format?

From: Thomas Phinney <tphinney@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 15:40:59 -0800
To: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

David Woolley wrote:

> Although I haven't studied the results of doing this, I believe the SVG
> font proponents argue that hinting has been made obsolete by anti-
> aliasing.

Then why does the SVG spec say that SVG fonts are lousy for text sizes because of their lack of hinting?

Although the most extreme forms of hinting may have been made obsolete by advances in anti-aliasing tech (especially for LCD screens), hinted fonts still produce better results even in Microsoft and Adobe's most advanced rendering environments (perhaps not Apple's, though).

Cheers,