RE: CSS3 @font-face / EOT Fonts - new compromise proposal

Håkon Lie wrote:

> Vlad has put forward a proposal without root strings, so it seems that
> root strings aren't essential from a commercial font vendor
> perspective.

I don't think you can make that assumption at all. Vlad is hoping that his proposal is acceptable to other font vendors. I am not at all sure that it will be.

I'm not even sure yet if Vlad's proposal is acceptable to Adobe, and among major retail font vendors, Adobe is one of *the* most liberal as far as web font usage ideas goes. I'm sure in this crowd I sound quite conservative, but it's all a question of your frame of reference.

That being said, I'm hoping that after sufficient thought and consultation, I feel comfortable endorsing this (or some) further compromise, and that it's something that we are then able to successfully evangelize to other font vendors.

Among the W3C list participants this might seem surprising, but it was not at all obvious going in that most type foundries would be amenable to licensing fonts for EOT usage... I'm genuinely concerned that any new compromise will not be something we can sell them on.

Regards,