From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:53:27 +0100
To: "Dave Crossland" <dave@lab6.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

Also sprach Dave Crossland:

 > >  > What we do know for a fact is that Adobe, Ascender, Bitstream, ITC,
 > >  > Linotype, Microsoft and Monotype have said it would be an
 > >  > acceptable solution, and there are many more smaller foundries and
 > >  > individual type designers who support these efforts.
 > >
 > > I support your efforts in trying to find a compromise, one that all
 > > listed vendors can support. Do you think they will support a scheme
 > > that is not based on root strings?
 >
 > I suggest a scheme with root strings not based on ENFORCING them, but
 > INFORMING people about them

I'm not comfortable with this. If root strings are present, someone
will demand -- possibly through the court system -- that they are
enforced in UAs. And images, video will follow suit. It's better not
to have root strings there in the first place.

Vlad has put forward a proposal without root strings, so it seems that
root strings aren't essential from a commercial font vendor
perspective.

Cheers,

-h&kon