RE: CSS3 @font-face / EOT Fonts - new compromise proposal

Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

> It's possible I'm reading too much into the statement made by Thomas
> of Adobe, but he seemed to be against the idea of using the access
> control standards (currently a working draft) for limiting access, as
> it would put the responsibilty of doing so into the hands of those who
> control the servers (authors), instead of making it something
> automatic when the UA read the font. Obfuscation was only half of what
> was needed, and he seems to be rejecting the best bet on the other
> half.

I think I'd say that I am not initially very excited about the idea of using access control, but I am still considering it and have certainly not ruled it out. Mostly I'm trying to make sure I understand all the implications before trying to determine a position on it for Adobe.

I still have the concern that even if Adobe were willing to license fonts for a particular kind of web usage scheme, if most other foundries are not, that situation does not meet Adobe's overall goal of something that meets web designers' needs (even if it would be good for Adobe).

Regards,