From: Mirko Gustony <mirko.gustony@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 10:12:35 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

Hello,

as a web designer I am reading this discussion with increasing interest.

Could someone please explain me, why fonts actually do need more
technical protection then let's say a ... text (I know there was a
similar question already)?

Both are (depending on the country) more or less protected by law
(e.g. in Germany there is something called "Urheberrecht" which
protects works of art from time of creation on, in the US there might
be something alike).

Both are easily to copy and reuse (I would say a text is much more
easier to reuse than a font).

Why don't we have technical protection built-in some W3C spec to
technically protect text?

Wouldn't it be quite unfair if authors or vendors of fonts are treated
different than authors of texts?

If there is a lesson to be learned then please have a look at the pain
the music industry is experiencing (mostly because their attempts to
protect themselves did not aim the pirates but their customers—which
their customers recognized quite fast but the record companies did to
late).

My 2 cent.

Mirko Gustony