RE: CSS3 @font-face / EOT Fonts - new compromise proposal

From: Levantovsky, Vladimir <Vladimir.Levantovsky@MonotypeImaging.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 23:54:37 -0500
To: "Mirko Gustony" <mirko.gustony@gmail.com>, <www-style@w3.org>

On Wednesday, November 12, 2008 4:13 AM Mirko Gustony wrote:

> Hello,
>
> as a web designer I am reading this discussion with
> increasing interest.
>
> Could someone please explain me, why fonts actually do need
> more technical protection then let's say a ... text (I know
> there was a similar question already)?

Perhaps, if you attempt to answer these questions it might help to
understand the differences:
- how text and fonts compare to each other in terms of their utility
value?
- can a font be re-used for commercial gain (e.g. to produce new media
or graphics content)? Is it the same for text?
- can text be used as a tool with different applications?
- if a copy of font was used to create a new document, is it possible to
tell whether the font was licensed properly or not?
- has it ever happened in the past that text had been the subject of
extreme piracy?
- do fonts have a resale value? what about text? ...

Regards,
Vlad