RE: CSS3 @font-face / EOT Fonts - new compromise proposal

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 10:14:50 +0100
To: "Levantovsky, Vladimir" <Vladimir.Levantovsky@MonotypeImaging.com>
Cc: "Dave Singer" <singer@apple.com>, <robert@ocallahan.org>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, <www-style@w3.org>

Also sprach Levantovsky, Vladimir:

 > What we do know for a fact is that Adobe, Ascender, Bitstream, ITC,
 > Linotype, Microsoft and Monotype have said it would be an
 > acceptable solution, and there are many more smaller foundries and
 > individual type designers who support these efforts.

I support your efforts in trying to find a compromise, one that all
listed vendors can support. Do you think they will support a scheme
that is not based on root strings? And, will Microsoft add support for
normal TTF files in IE, as well as the restricted format? If the
answers to these questions are yes, we're a lot closer to reaching
consensus.

-h&kon