	From: rocallahan@gmail.com [mailto:rocallahan@gmail.com] On
Behalf Of Robert O'Callahan
	Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 10:25 PM
	To: Levantovsky, Vladimir
	Cc: David Woolley; www-style@w3.org
	Subject: Re: CSS3 @font-face / EOT Fonts - new compromise
proposal

	On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 4:13 PM, Levantovsky, Vladimir
<Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotypeimaging.com> wrote:

		I am not sure what you mean by field-of-use restriction.
The item 3 of W3C RF licensing
requirements(http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy-20040205/#def-RF
) clearly states that the license may be limited to implementations of
the Recommendation. The browser implementation would obviously qualify
as an implementation of this (future) recommendation.

	Yes. But David pointed out that that's insufficient for the
open-source licensing of two major browser engines. It's not enough that
we be able to use the method ourselves; we promise to our downstream
users, via the GPL or LGPL, that they can take our code and use it in
various ways, including for non-browser projects.

	So if Monotype insists on a field-of-use restriction, it may
become a W3C standard, but we still won't be able to implement it.

	Rob
	--
	"He was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our
iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by