Levantovsky, Vladimir wrote:

> I am sorry, I do not see a connection here. They sure can take your code
> and use it for whatever purposes, including the non-browser projects,
> but it doesn't mean that they have to inherit all patent licenses with
> it. For example, FreeType has GPL implementation of TrueType hints. The
> code is freely available but anyone who wish to use it would have to get
> their own patent license.

You cannot give them your code without violating the GPL, or similar
licences.  As copyright owner, you could change the licence, but you
might rely on GPLed code that isn't yours, and even if you didn't, some
distributors, and many potential future contributors, may refuse to
touch your software.

> Why is it any different with your code?

 From clause 7 of version 2 of the GPL (copyright Free Software Foundation):

> may not distribute the Program at all.  For example, if a patent
> license would not permit royalty-free redistribution of the Program by
> all those who receive copies directly or indirectly through you, then
> the only way you could satisfy both it and this License would be to
> refrain entirely from distribution of the Program.

The bit before makes it clear that this is triggered if royalties are
required for any permitted use, under the GPL
--
David Woolley