Re: [CSS 21] overflow:hidden adjacent to a float

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 14:23:05 +1000
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
CC: Ingo Chao <i4chao@googlemail.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Ingo Chao wrote:
>> Browsers are rendering this differently, and they seem to move in
>> different directions, see composite screenshot
>> http://satzansatz.de/w3/bfcfloat.png
>
> Note that part of that is due to the s/margin-box/border-box/ change you
> point out.
>
>>  Making the overflow-hidden box narrower so it
>> clips its own content even if there is no width set seems
>> counterintuitive to me.
>
> Sadly, websites seem to somewhat depend on that behavior.  That was a
> major reason for the change from Firefox 3 beta 5 to Firefox 3 RC1 that
> you see in your screenshot.
>
> -Boris

Boris, what websites depend on a behavior that is clearly undefined?
Overflow boxes with either values of 'hidden' or 'auto' show no
consistency across the various implementations when they are adjacent to
floats (I will provide a screenshot later). Here is a test case with 'auto'.

http://css-class.com/test/css/viseffects/overflow-box-next-to-float.htm

I have brought this up before (chaotically :-) in January this year.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Jan/0265.html

Alan