Re: [CSS 21] overflow:hidden adjacent to a float

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 21:02:39 -0500
To: "Ph. Wittenbergh" <jk7r-obt@asahi-net.or.jp>
CC: CSS <www-style@w3.org>

Ph. Wittenbergh wrote:
> I think that is the main concern here. How wide should the _auto-width_
> wrapping floated box be in this case ?

Section 10.3.5 of CSS2.1 covers this, sort of.  In your testcase the real
question is what the "preferred width" is.  That's not really defined for a
block with floating kids, so much.

I seem to recall trying to change things in Gecko so that a block-level child
after a float child didn't reset the preferred width in Gecko and discovering
that things got pretty nasty very fast (e.g. depending on what the grandkids
were), with predictable behavior hard to come by.  So we left it with the simple
algorithm Firefox 3 uses for now.  I can try to dig up the relevant bug report
if you think that would be worth it, I guess.

-Boris