Re: [css3-background] box-shadow syntax

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 01:21:25 +1000
To: Eli Morris-Heft <dai@doublefishstudios.com>
CC: "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>

Eli Morris-Heft wrote:
> Alan Gresley wrote:
>> I think we are getting box-shadow and border-shadow a bit mixed up here.
>
> Accordind to the latest version of the spec (found at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/), there is no 'border-shadow'
> property. The spec isn't clear, but it seems to imply that the shadow is
> as wide as the box + padding + border.

Best to go to the editors draft.

http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/csswg/css3-background/Overview.html?rev=1.20

But looking at this version it seems that background-shadow has been
have removed and border-shadow changed to box-shadow.

>> Brad suggested this.
>> box-shadow:4px 4px 4px blue inner;
>> but that is really a border.
>
> I don't think so. I think this would be drawn *inside* the border.

>> How does all the new syntax or values work when the box casting the
>> shadow is transparent?
>
> This is also unspecified, and undiscussed. I'm not sure what the right
> answer to this question is, and I'm reluctant to add an opacity value to
> the shadow specification...
>
> Eli Morris-Heft

Seeing the latest editors draft would indicate that a shadow will not
show through a transparent background. I should check the editors draft
more often.

Alan