Re: [css3-background] box-shadow syntax

From: Eli Morris-Heft <dai@doublefishstudios.com>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 08:59:52 -0500
To: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
CC: "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>

Alan Gresley wrote:
> I think we are getting box-shadow and border-shadow a bit mixed up here.

Accordind to the latest version of the spec (found at
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/), there is no 'border-shadow' property.
The spec isn't clear, but it seems to imply that the shadow is as wide as the
box + padding + border.

> Brad suggested this.
> box-shadow:4px 4px 4px blue inner;
> but that is really a border.

I don't think so. I think this would be drawn *inside* the border.

> How does all the new
> syntax or values work when the box casting the shadow is transparent?

This is also unspecified, and undiscussed. I'm not sure what the right answer to
this question is, and I'm reluctant to add an opacity value to the shadow
specification...

Eli Morris-Heft
dai@doublefishstudios.com