Re: [css3-mediaqueries] Width/Height Clarifications

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 20:17:18 -0700
To: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
CC: "Grant, Melinda" <melinda.grant@hp.com>, Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

> Terribly sorry for the interruption but I have to ask:
>
> What if device-width/height are getting changed dynamically?
> Let's say some mobile device that is changing screen orientation
> dynamically. How MQ will handle this?

I assume you'd handle it the same way as when 'width' and 'height',
which refer to the viewport, change dynamically.

There's no concept of time or sequence in (non-aural) CSS. If the
viewport is X inches wide, then the initial containing block is X
inches wide, media queries mapping to an X-inch-wide viewport apply,
and the layout is defined from there.

~fantasai