Re: [css3-mediaqueries] Width/Height Clarifications

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 00:11:32 -0700
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
CC: "Grant, Melinda" <melinda.grant@hp.com>, Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

fantasai wrote:

> Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>>
>> Terribly sorry for the interruption but I have to ask:
>>
>> What if device-width/height are getting changed dynamically?
>> Let's say some mobile device that is changing screen orientation
>> dynamically. How MQ will handle this?
>
> I assume you'd handle it the same way as when 'width' and 'height',
> which refer to the viewport, change dynamically.
>
> There's no concept of time or sequence in (non-aural) CSS. If the
> viewport is X inches wide, then the initial containing block is X
> inches wide, media queries mapping to an X-inch-wide viewport apply,
> and the layout is defined from there.

@media non-existent
{
    something that may never be even parsed according
    to [1]: "So that user agents can avoid retrieving
    resources for unsupported media types"
}

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/cascade.html#at-import

So is the question: are MQ statements parse time of runtime
entities? If they are evaluating at runtime then this appears
as a change of the whole paradigm.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com