Re: [CSS 2.1] static position of an absolutely positioned element with auto-offsets

From: Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 22:36:56 +0200
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

Ingo Chao wrote:
 > IE places an absolutely positioned box with auto-offsets /alongside/ a
 > float. Does this behavior violate the spec or not? I think it should.

If Ingo is talking about IE<=7, this browser has its own bizarre and
buggy proprietary positioning model that I don't think CSS21 would want
to encourage.[1]  Specifically for the case Ingo raises, IE<=7
determines the static position of the AP box as if it were inline-level
even if it is actually display:block.[2]  This certainly seems in
violation of the specification, seeing as the computed value of
'display' is explicitly stated for absolutely positioned elements,[3]
and is never 'inline'.

[1] http://dev.moonhenge.net/bugs/ie6/positioning/IE__positioning_model.html
[2]
http://dev.moonhenge.net/bugs/ie6/positioning/IE__positioning_model.html#ie-static-position