Re: [CSS 2.1] static position of an absolutely positioned element with auto-offsets

From: Ingo Chao <i4chao@googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 23:07:19 +0200
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

2008/6/5 Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net>:

> Ingo Chao wrote:
>> IE places an absolutely positioned box with auto-offsets /alongside/ a
>> float. Does this behavior violate the spec or not? I think it should.
>
> If Ingo is talking about IE<=7, this browser has its own bizarre and buggy
> proprietary positioning model that I don't think CSS21 would want to
> encourage.[1]

Thank you. I am asking because IE8b1 still places an absolutely
positioned box with auto-offset next to a preceeding float, and my
question is if the sentence "user agents are free to make a guess at
its probable position" (CSS 2.1: 10.3.7 and 10.6.4) covers that
behavior or not.

I agree the spec should not encourage such a divergence in actual
rendering, therefore, the sentence should be clarified, or better,
removed.

Sorry if I am misinterpreting that sentence.

regards,
Ingo
--
Ingo Chao