Re: Parent Combinator / Parent pseudo-class

Brad Kemper wrote:
> Can you post a test case, using JavaScript to simulate this, to show how
> slow?

Probably, but honestly this is a very low priority for me.  So I doubt
I'll get to it any time soon (months).

> Where one element with a child is thus selected?

In general, any time you have such a selector any DOM mutation means
walking the entire DOM tree and adjusting all the styles.  Or having
some sort of rather mechanism that tells you what parts of the DOM you
need to walk.

This can be optimized in various ways if you know something particular
about how you're using the selectors, of course.  So you can get away
with a bit less if you're doing it in JS for a particular page, but NOT
if you're trying to write a general-purpose thing like a toolkit.

-Boris