Re: Parent Combinator / Parent pseudo-class

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 09:57:04 -0700
To: Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>

Brad Kemper wrote:
> That's the same situation as with adjacent sibling combinators, isn't
> it? If you mutate the previous sibling, then you have to do style
> reresolution on a separate branch of the DOM tree.

Yep.  In fact, in Gecko if you mutate a node there are adjacent sibling
selectors floating about we reresolve style on that node, all its
descendants, and all descendants of all following siblings.

And it's slow, if you ever try it...  But faster than reresolving
everything in the document.

It's not a matter of "separate branch", but just a matter of how many
nodes you have to walk and reresolve style for.

-Boris