Re: Proposal for adding variable declaration blocks

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 12:43:52 -0700
To: Mike Wilson <mikewse@hotmail.com>
CC: 'www-style list' <www-style@w3.org>, Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net>

Mike Wilson wrote:
> It's great that you are working with this!
>
> The "define" suggestion looks nice. A slight variation that I
> also think is nice, is blending in some of the ideas from your
> original proposal which would result in:
>
>   @define {
>     myForegroundColor: blue;
>     myBackgroundColor: green;
>     myButtonStyle: {
>       border: outset silver;
>       background: silver;
>     }
>   }
>
> (It probably has to be adjusted somewhat to play well with the
> CSS parser, but you get the general idea.)
>
> I agree with Brad and others that the media stuff could instead
> be done with normal media blocks.
>
> Lastly, I'd put my vote on fantasai's "$ dereferencing" or
> something similar and well known.

I think my personal take would be to use =var=. I liked Brad's
suggestion of using =, but =var seems a bit unbalanced to me.

   h1 {
     =myHeaderStyle=;
     background-color: =myBackgroundColor=;
   }

Not sure what other people think. :) It's not a well-known syntax,
but you can use it for both kinds of dereferencing.

~fantasai