RE: Proposal for adding variable declaration blocks

From: Mike Wilson <mikewse@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 23:24:35 +0200
To: "'www-style list'" <www-style@w3.org>, "'David Hyatt'" <hyatt@apple.com>

It's great that you are working with this!

The "define" suggestion looks nice. A slight variation that I
also think is nice, is blending in some of the ideas from your
original proposal which would result in:

  @define {
    myForegroundColor: blue;
    myBackgroundColor: green;
    myButtonStyle: {
      border: outset silver;
      background: silver;
    }
  }

(It probably has to be adjusted somewhat to play well with the
CSS parser, but you get the general idea.)

I agree with Brad and others that the media stuff could instead
be done with normal media blocks.

Lastly, I'd put my vote on fantasai's "$ dereferencing" or
something similar and well known.

Best regards
Mike Wilson