Re: Opera's Proposal for :context Selector

From: Joshua Cranmer <Pidgeot18@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:17:26 -0400
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> I agree here, though, that *without* a :scope or :context pseudoclass,
> it can be difficult to achieve proper modularity.  Frex, in this
> fragment:
> <section>
>     div span { color: red }
> </section>
> The second span will definitely be red, but the first will be red
> depending on whether or not there is a div somewhere further up the
> ancestor chain.
This sounds as if it's a bug. As  developer, I would intuitively expect
such a document fragment to have the same results regardless of extra
content. Whether or not the section is wrapped in a div or not should
not (IMHO) affect the styles generated by the scoped stylesheets. I fail
to see a compelling use case that calls for the scoped stylesheets to be
knowledgeable of the existence of any elements outside the scoped root
(e.g., the section).

Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth