Re: Opera's Proposal for :context Selector

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Joshua Cranmer <Pidgeot18@verizon.net> wrote:
> Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>>
>> I agree here, though, that *without* a :scope or :context pseudoclass,
>> it can be difficult to achieve proper modularity.  Frex, in this
>> fragment:
>>
>> <section>
>>    div span { color: red }
>> </section>
>>
>> The second span will definitely be red, but the first will be red
>> depending on whether or not there is a div somewhere further up the
>> ancestor chain.
>>

> This sounds as if it's a bug. As  developer, I would intuitively expect such
> a document fragment to have the same results regardless of extra content.
> Whether or not the section is wrapped in a div or not should not (IMHO)
> affect the styles generated by the scoped stylesheets. I fail to see a
> compelling use case that calls for the scoped stylesheets to be
> knowledgeable of the existence of any elements outside the scoped root
> (e.g., the section).

Being able to do a query against the full document *is* useful, but
you need some way to specify that you want a selector to *only* query
against the elements in scope, or you get the unintuitive results that
you mentioned.  That'd be the :scope/:context pseudoclass.

~TJ