RE: [CSS2.1] Grammar for @media versus general block parsing

From: Grant, Melinda <melinda.grant@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 00:52:22 +0000
To: Justin Rogers <justrog@microsoft.com>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>

Justin said:
> Grammar wise adding at-rule will force me to put in code to
> process at-rule's within the media block. Spec wise saying
> that at-rules are to be ignored if present (and consequently
> that at-rule error recovery should be used on a syntax error
> and not rule-set error recovery) will make the forward
> compatible stuff work as expected.

Specing that at-rules inside @media are to be ignored in CSS 2.1 and understood in CSS3 will I think lead to some undesirable outcomes.  (For instance, we will or should create a test for 2.1 that must fail as a CSS3 test.)  It's not clear to me, since CSS doesn't do versions, how a browser will know it is processing a 2.1 stylesheet, and therefore must ignore embedded at-rules, as opposed to processing a CSS3 stylesheet, in which case it must process the embedded at-rules.

It seems to me preferable to just add at-rules to the 2.1 grammar. Implementations will need to be incorporating that behavior as they move to CSS3 anyway.

Best wishes,

Melinda