Re: [CSS2.1] What counts as "an element which contains no text" for the rules in 16.3.1?

Zachary Weinberg wrote:
> fantasai's sweep of open issues reminded me that I have another question
> about text-decoration propagation.
>
> CSS2.1 section 16.3.1 contains the sentence
>
> # If an element contains no text, user agents must refrain from
> # rendering text decorations on the element.
>
> Suppose, then, that you have something like

> Should the word "two" be crossed out?  In other words, does the outer of the
> two SPANs count as "an element which contains no text", despite having a
> descendant box that does contain text?  Does your answer change if there is
> no inner SPAN tag, so the descendant box is anonymous?
>
> I put a complete test case at <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=327987>.
> It is clear (IMO) that the green and pink boxes should not have a line drawn
> across them, but I'm not sure about the word "all" on the third line.

If your example was
then of course the line-through should cross "one" and "two".

Your specific example runs into this clause, however:

   # [Text decoration] is not, however, further propagated to floating and
   # absolutely positioned descendants, nor to the contents of 'inline-table'
   # and 'inline-block' descendants.

~fantasai