[CSS2.1] What counts as "an element which contains no text" for the rules in 16.3.1?

From: Zachary Weinberg <zweinberg@mozilla.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:34:18 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>

fantasai's sweep of open issues reminded me that I have another question about text-decoration propagation.

CSS2.1 section 16.3.1 contains the sentence

# If an element contains no text, user agents must refrain from
# rendering text decorations on the element.

Suppose, then, that you have something like

Should the word "two" be crossed out?  In other words, does the outer of the two SPANs count as "an element which contains no text", despite having a descendant box that does contain text?  Does your answer change if there is no inner SPAN tag, so the descendant box is anonymous?

I put a complete test case at <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=327987>.  It is clear (IMO) that the green and pink boxes should not have a line drawn across them, but I'm not sure about the word "all" on the third line.

zw