Re: [CSS2.1] What counts as "an element which contains no text" for the rules in 16.3.1?

From: Zachary Weinberg <zweinberg@mozilla.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 11:11:22 -0700 (PDT)
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: www-style <www-style@w3.org>

----- "fantasai" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> Zachary Weinberg wrote:
> > CSS2.1 section 16.3.1 contains the sentence
> >
> > # If an element contains no text, user agents must refrain from
> > # rendering text decorations on the element.
> >
> > Suppose, then, that you have something like
> >
> >   <del>one <span
> >
> > Should the word "two" be crossed out?
>
> If your example was
> then of course the line-through should cross "one" and "two".
>
> Your specific example runs into this clause, however:
>
> # [Text decoration] is not, however, further propagated to floating and
> # absolutely positioned descendants, nor to the contents of 'inline-table'
> # and 'inline-block' descendants.

That was deliberate; the question is moot if the inner SPAN is drawing its own text decorations.

My question is whether the DEL box should draw text decorations across a descendant box that stops propagation of text decorations, when that box does not have direct text children but does have descendant boxes that have text children.  I am not comfortable considering such a box "an element which contains no text" without further clarification; it's too fine a hair to split.

zw