Re: Re[27]: css with attribues [hardware]

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:32:54 +0000
To: CSS Style <www-style@w3.org>

On 22 Jan 2008, at 14:49, Dmitry Turin wrote:
> DD> But CSS is supposed to be an optional presentational layer. The
> DD> operative word should be "may" not "should".

> P.S.
>   'optional' theoretically or practically ?

> I know people,
> who browse without downloading pictures (e.g. I),
> but i know nobody, who without css.

I have turned CSS off from time to time. It can make some documents
much more readable.

>   As was mentioned, one css-file per hundreds other files of site
> is less one persent of traffic, so this is not actual for robots.

And as was mentioned, downloading the file is not the source of

>>> It cover very little part of population.
>>> To my mind, it's anachronism.
> DD> To my mind it is a small, fast, useful tool.
>   Size of program is not important in epoch of DVD, BluRay, etc.

It is important in the epoch of palmtops and GRPS network connections
that are charged by the megabyte.

>   It's not important, how much time of rendering is less constants
> of human perception (1 sec): 0.05 sec or 0.5 sec
> (comparing browsers in identical conditions, i.e. for textual
> framework).
>   And without pictures, it's not useful - observe today's inet.

Rubbish. There might be a lot of image dependent content on the web,
but there is vast amounts that is perfectly understandable with just
text (the majority of the BBC website springs to mind).

David Dorward