Re: a#val , [id="val"]

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 01:47:29 -0600
To: Dmitry Turin <sql4-en@narod.ru>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Dmitry Turin wrote:
> Boris, this proposal exists not itself, but to _serve_ direct
> XML-communication with DBMS:
> i implore you to read http://sql50.euro.ru/sql5.ppt finally !!

I did read it.  What makes you think I didn't?

I'm not sure what David's (correct) comment about not being able to put a '#' in
a tag name in well-formed XML has to do with what I said, which is that if you
_do_ have a tag with a '#' in it, it can be selected by CSS.  Presumably you're
using HTML, where you can in fact put a '#' into a tag name.  And if you are,
CSS lets you select it.

Put another way, David was commenting on a limitation of XML, not of CSS.

> And bad heritage ( tablename\#fieldname ) is really heavy to user.

Adding a single '\' is "heavy"?  Sorry, I don't buy it.

-Boris