Re: scroll bar size in width calculations

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 13:13:37 +1300
To: "Brad Kemper" <brkemper@comcast.net>
Cc: "Rossen Atanassov" <ratan@windows.microsoft.com>, "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news@terrainformatica.com>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "Alex Mogilevsky" <alexmog@exchange.microsoft.com>, "CSS Style" <www-style@w3.org>, "Sam Fortiner" <samfort@microsoft.com>, "Harel Williams" <harelw@microsoft.com>, "Scott Dickens" <sdickens@exchange.microsoft.com>, "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
On Jan 6, 2008 3:46 PM, Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net> wrote:

> Well, I know there are edge cases where one scrollbar causes a reflow that
> could also make the other one needed. And I know that content height will
> never be 100% predictable, even when specified in ems, due to various glyph
> sizes. Does that summarize what you just wrote? I don't have a problem with
> that. But there are one or two browsers (I think IE6 and IE7, and maybe
> FireFox 2 also, but I don't have the right computer to check these right
> now), where the horizontal scrollbar appears even when there is clearly no
> need for it, when overflow is set to auto and overflow-x is not set to
> hidden. There is no thumb button, mind you, just an empty, unusable bar.
> Safari never had this same problem.

We had bugs in this area and probably still do --- it's tricky to get right
--- but we (FF) work pretty hard to minimize the number of scrollbars we
display. Specifically, *I* work pretty hard to ensure that :-).
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org if you have problems reproducible in FF3
betas...

Rob
53:5-6]