Re: [CSS21] Height of cell box should not be influenced by 'height'

From: White Lynx <whitelynx@operamail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 18:12:18 +0400
To: "Bruno Fassino" <fassino@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

> Well, but David was not suggesting to remove the extra 'padding', but
> rather not to use the 'height' property specified on a cell to
> determine its height.
> The height of the cell must be determined
> simply by the content.

That effectively means killing height property as it will not participate in cell height calculation.

> Padding is added to this height where necessary
> to make all cells border boxes of the some height (and to get the
> requested vertical alignment.)

Vertical alignment of what? Border boxes or content?

> So we are all saying the same thing, aren't we?

We seem to interpret vertical alignment in different way. I would not mind clarifying spec or even reformulating current behaviour in different terms, but I don't like idea of changing this behaviour and requesting everyone to reimplement tables and recode pages (plus returning CSS2.1 to draft stage once again).

> They say that the cell
> height should be at least the value of its height property, which in
> your case means that the _first_ cell does not require extra padding.

Yep.

> If so how would its content 'A' be vertically centered? (it would be
> at the top.)

It would be at the top in case of top and in some cases baseline alignment. I don't think that 'padding' added to cells has something to do with alignment. It is added as necessary after alignment is done.