Re: [CSS21] Height of cell box should not be influenced by 'height'

From: Bruno Fassino <fassino@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 14:42:35 +0100
To: "White Lynx" <whitelynx@operamail.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

On Jan 2, 2008 2:12 PM, White Lynx wrote:

> Well, here is table
>  http://xml-maiden.com/css21/table-cell-centering.xml
> It has two stylesheets attached. Alternate stylesheet produces layout described by David, default is the case
> where cell is 'padded' to the height of row.

Well, but David was not suggesting to remove the extra 'padding', but
rather not to use the 'height' property specified on a cell to
determine its height.  The height of the cell must be determined
simply by the content. Padding is added to this height where necessary
to make all cells border boxes of the some height (and to get the
requested vertical alignment.)
So we are all saying the same thing, aren't we?

Are the spec that now say something different. They say that the cell
height should be at least the value of its height property, which in
your case means that the _first_ cell does not require extra padding.
If so how would its content 'A' be vertically centered? (it would be
at the top.)

Bruno

--
Bruno Fassino http://www.brunildo.org/test