Re: [CSS21] Height of cell box should not be influenced by 'height'

On Jan 2, 2008 3:12 PM, White Lynx wrote:

> > The height of the cell must be determined
> > simply by the content.
>
> That effectively means killing height property as it will not participate in cell height calculation.

It will participate in _row_ height calculation according to David's proposal.

> > Padding is added to this height where necessary
> > to make all cells border boxes of the some height (and to get the
> > requested vertical alignment.)
>
> Vertical alignment of what? Border boxes or content?

According to my reading of the spec:

For 'top', 'bottom' and 'middle'  the 'cell box' is used, which I
assume is the cell's content box, before applying any padding.
So indeed is the 'content' of the cell which is aligned, provided that
the 'height' cell property is ignore here.
Then to 'fix' the alignment in its place, extra padding on the cell is used.

> I don't think that 'padding' added to cells has something to do with alignment. It is added as necessary
> after alignment is done.

Yes, it is added 'after'. But, according to a possible viewpoint, it
is the "tool" that maintains the requested vertical alignment.

Kind regards,
Bruno

--
Bruno Fassino http://www.brunildo.org/test