Re: Controlling size of a tab character (U+0009)

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 14:40:26 -0800
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We found the need to introduce a CSS property that allows controlling
> the size of a tab. This feature will be in some future version of Opera
> (likely after the next version) but I thought it would be good to share
> what we have with the CSS WG and CSS community to see if it's worth
> standardizing. The property is really simple:
>
>   '-o-tab-size'
>
>   Value: <integer> | inherit
>   Initial: 8
>   Applies to: all elements
>   Inherited: yes
>   Percentages: N/A
>   Media: visual
>   Computed value: as specified
>
> Only positive integer values are allowed. The initial value of 8 is
> taken from section 16.6.1 "The 'white-space' processing model" of the
> CSS 2.1 specification.

This property definition seems pretty reasonable to me. I agree that
the value should be an integer and not a length and that it should be
inherited.

I think the main reason we don't have such a control in any drafts
right now is that there wasn't enough justification for adding it. I'll
add this proposal as an issue for CSS3 Text: if there's another implementor
who wants this, we'll add it in.

   http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Tracker/issues/76

~fantasai