Re: Controlling size of a tab character (U+0009)

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 07:33:08 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org

fantasai wrote:

> This property definition seems pretty reasonable to me. I agree that
> the value should be an integer and not a length and that it should be
> inherited.

When the font size changes, (or other properties that affect the
character width of the reference character) in a sub-element, is the
physical width computed pro-rata to the number of characters at each size?

If not, is the origin for the tabs reset to the start of the
sub-element, or left relative to the beginning of the containing block

I'm assuming that a tab isn't just a macro for n spaces, as that doesn't
seem a reasonable interpretation.

Unlike line-height, where using absolute numbers is very desirable, if
under-used, tabs are processed in the direction of composition, rather
than orthogonal to it.

David Woolley